Nagao Jinjya Shrine (Nagao Jinjya)
The deities dedicated to Nagao Jinjya Shrine, enshrined in Nagao, Katsuragi City are Mihikahimenomikoto and Shirakumowakenomikoto.
It is not known when this shrine was built, but it has a long history as to be referred to in The True History of Three Reigns of Japan (Sandai Jitsuroku) and Engi-Shiki, Japanese book of laws and regulations, both written in the Heian period.
According to The Chronicles of Ancient Hokoji Temple (Hokoji Kokonengi) written in 1443, Emperor Tenmu (Tenmutenno) rejoicing at the victory of Battle of Jinshin (Jinshinnoran) declared this place sacred and built the shrine as a reward in Asuka era.
In the ancient times, the location of Nagao Jinjya Shrine was an important spot in the Osaka area through Takeunochi Route to Yamato and then to Fujiwarakyo in Asuka. It was the western entrance to Yokooji, a big ancient avenue.
Even now, as this is an indispensable place for transportation, where the Takenouchi Route and Nagao Route meet, this shrine widely attracts many passers-by as their guardian god, and so to speak, a god of traveler's safety.
Address: 471 Nagao, Katsuragi City
Access: 5 minutes’ walk from the Iwaki Station on the Kintetsu Minami Osaka Line.